[TUHS] Early Clones / Rewrites for TUHS archives

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Dec 16 14:50:00 AEST 2017

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017, Larry McVoy wrote:

> I wrote a lot of code in BDS C, remember it fondly (even though it's
> stdio was non-stdio :)

I had BDS C for my Z-80 box (the Australian 128Kb Microbee with
bank-switched memory), and hated it, as it barely understood C.  $BOSS
then bought me Hi-Tech C, and it was full ANSI, to my surprise (that's
when I found the TMPFS M: drive stuff from somewhere).

I ported a few programs over that way (GREP etc, but damned slow, and I'll
probably get told that it couldn't possibly have worked[*]), but now all
sadly lost, alas.

[*]
I have a long history of doing the impossible, mostly because I was the
only one dumb enough to actually try it.