[TUHS] Code bloat (was: How Unix brings people together, or it's a small...)

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Feb 10 02:36:58 AEST 2017

> The best one seems to have been the 3Com stack, which puts IP in the
> kernel and TCP in a daemon. By the way, this implementation is also
> where SLIP seems to have originated.

As much as I love all the nostalgia, and as cool as SLIP was, if I never
have to experience the pain of trying to run TCP/IP over a modem again,
I'll be happy.  For me, SLIP was just not worth it.  Too much overhead
when bandwidth was too precious.  A dial up terminal emulator was a
better answer in my experience.

Don't get me wrong, SLIP was cool.   Modems were slow.