[TUHS] Code bloat (was: How Unix brings people together, or it's a small...)

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Feb 10 02:42:09 AEST 2017

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>> The best one seems to have been the 3Com stack, which puts IP in the
>> kernel and TCP in a daemon. By the way, this implementation is also
>> where SLIP seems to have originated.
>
> As much as I love all the nostalgia, and as cool as SLIP was, if I never
> have to experience the pain of trying to run TCP/IP over a modem again,
> I'll be happy.  For me, SLIP was just not worth it.  Too much overhead
> when bandwidth was too precious.  A dial up terminal emulator was a
> better answer in my experience.
>
> Don't get me wrong, SLIP was cool.   Modems were slow.

Let's not forget the latency. 128ms of latency over modems was
awesomely low... That changed relatively little, even as the speeds
went from 1200 baud up to 57.6k.

While I am nostalgic for my early coding days on a 1200 baud video
screen and a 300 baud printer, I do not miss the speed or the latency
issues...

Warner