[TUHS] offtopic: broadband (redirect from bloat)

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Feb 10 03:27:52 AEST 2017

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 06:24:12PM +0100, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>  |Exactly.  I live in the Santa Cruz mountains, which is awesome (well,
>  |quite remote, we have a mountain lion that comes through here nightly
>
> That is pretty cool!  Some are still alive!!

Good lord, tons and tons are alive.  I wanted the one that got my dog
moved and Fish & Game flat out told me there was no place to move it
that didn't already have other mountain lions.

>  |In spite of that, I'm typing away to you all, I'm 3ms away from 8.8.8.8
>  |(Google's dns server).  Go wireless.  It's pretty remarkable to be here
>  |and have decent net connectivity.
>
> America is first world.  This statement declassifies most of
> Germanies countryside as second world, at maximum.  I for one am
> happy if i get a constant stream equivalent to ISDN.  In the outer
> region of a city in one of the richest parts of Germany, that is.

Really?  I thought that America was trailing in broadband.  And in
Germany?  I'm stunned, usually we're looking at Germany and sighing
about how much better run it is than our country.  You guys are very
efficient.  How is it possible that you have crappy internet, are you
sure that's normal?