[TUHS] Mach for i386 / Mt Xinu or other

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Feb 18 03:23:16 AEST 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 7:29 AM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 6:30 AM, <jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com> wrote:

>> t’d be interesting to see a 4.3BSD on a PC!
>

> It should have added - that's easy today.  Just buy an Apple Mac or create
> an HackenTosh, then ignore the Apple UI, just run from the terminal.  Darwin
> is Mach 2.5, with BSD under the covers.     Although to be fair, over the
> years, that have more and more diverted from a lot of core UNIX in many
> things in the back, but frankly, I do find it more UNIX-like than not and
> 40+ years of "muscle memory" in my fingers mostly get the right results.

You could install FreeBSD 1 and have no UI to ignore. Most of BSD 4.3
compiles under it (though with some hacking iirc) and the difference
in user experience between the 4.3 and 4.4 kernels isn't huge. Going
the other way is harder (running 4.4 in 4.3) since the 4.4 userland
uses a lot of kernel features new in 4.4. It was based on the net2
tape with missing bits filled in.

Warner