[TUHS] Reorganising the Unix Archive? (GNU?)

Deborah Scherrer dscherrer at solar.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 21 02:46:55 AEST 2017

I would like to add the Software Tools to the Unix archive.  As you may
remember, Brian Kernighan and P. J. Plauger wrote a book about
developing Unix-like code for non-Unix systems.   We at the Lawrence
Berkeley Lab took that idea and ran with it.  We eventually produced a
set of Unix utilities and a system interface that could be reproduced on
virtually any operating system.  This was freely distributed and
eventually the package was put up on over 50 different
computers/systems.  There was a user group of about 2000. The movement
earned one of the Usenix Flame Awards, way back when.

We have the original tapes produced at Lawrence Berkeley Lab, plus a
Pascal version, plus a version for CP/M.   We would like to add these to
the Unix archive, if you think it appropriate.

Deborah