[TUHS] Un-released/internal/special UNIX versions/ports during the years?

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Sun Feb 26 23:32:27 AEST 2017

On 26 Feb 2017, at 12:39, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

> I was never happy with the size of EMACS, and it had nothing to do with the
> amount of memory resources used. That big a binary implies a very large amount
> of source, and the more lines of code, the more places for bugs... And it
> makes it harder to understand, for someone working on it (to make a
> change/improvement).

I think whether you think Emacs is large or small depends on what you think it is.  If you think it's a text editor it's huge (by the standards of the 1970s, anyway: I have things which purport to be text editors which have python interpreters in and are significantly larger than Emacs, *on my phone*).   But if you think of it as the userland of an operating system it's rather small.  And many Emacs users do (or did: I used to but don't so much any more) treat it as the latter.