[TUHS] Un-released/internal/special UNIX versions/ports during the years?

Michael Kerpan madcrow.maxwell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 00:19:51 AEST 2017

Oops. Meant to send this to this list but sent it privately. Here's a
second try:

My supposition is that EMACS was basically Stallman's attempt to bring in
all the things he liked about the LISP Machine environment into the Unix
world through the back door. The original PDP-10 EMACS really was just a
pile of macros which turned TECO into something usable by mere mortals. If
all you wanted was an editor that worked the same way as PDP-10 EMACS, it
would have been easy to create: several people have (MicroEMACS, etc). It's
the fact that GNU EMACS was intended as a haven for MIT LISP hackers adrift
in the bold new world of Unix that made it so huge for its time.

Mike