[TUHS] Un-released/internal/special UNIX versions/ports during the years?

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Mon Feb 27 01:52:40 AEST 2017

Tim Bradshaw <tfb at tfeb.org> wrote:

> > On 26 Feb 2017, at 14:54, Joerg Schilling <schily at schily.net> wrote:
> >
> > GNU EMACS is based on the Gosling EMACS and this did already include the LISP
> > interpreter.
>
> Well, Gosling Emacs had mocklisp which, despite its name, isn't a Lisp.  GNU Emacs has elisp which *is* a Lisp (albeit a fairly horrid one).

OK, then Gosling just had the idea of including lisp.

> There's also no real doubt that RMS was responsible for Emacs *as an idea* as opposed to any particular implementation (Guy Steele is I think the other person who might be held responsible, but I believe he's said that it was RMS, which is good enough for me).

I am sure that emacs would be unknown today in case that Gosling did not write
the C-implementation.

A macro set for a closed source editor on a dying architecture (PDP-11)
would have died as well.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin