[TUHS] roff

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 05:46:14 AEST 2017

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Ron Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> Amusingly someone sent me a document not that far back with a table in it.
> I said "Did you use PIC and TBL with this?"    He admitted he did.    It
> had
> the little tell tail stray overshoots on the vertical lines.   I would have
> thought someone would have fixed that in the interim.

When I was getting deployed to Afghanistan, we were given a little
laminated card with a "cheat sheet" of important bits of radio protocol on
it: how to call for a casualty evacuation, unexploded ordinance (I had to
use that one once, btw...), a thing called a MIST report that detailed
injuries, etc.

Anyway, something about the fonts and I *knew* it had been written using
troff. Of course, we didn't have the source, just the card...so I sat down
and recreated it. I printed a whole bunch out, laminated them and gave them
to my Marines to hang onto. I probably still have the PIC file laying
around my directory somewhere.

        - Dan C.