[TUHS] Emacs and undump

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Mon Feb 27 20:35:21 AEST 2017

David <david at kdbarto.org> wrote:

> I ported GNU Emacs to the Celerity product line mostly because most of the programmers there wanted it over vi. Not me, I???m a vi guy.
>
> I remember that GNU Emacs launched the first time and then dumped itself out as a core file. Each subsequent launch would then ???undump??? itself back into memory. All this because launching emacs the first time required compiling all that lisp code.

The file "sendmail.fc" is just the dump of the heap from sendmail.
This method existed since a long time.

BTW: undump(1) has been announced on a Sun User Group in 1987, but the
next year, SunOS-4.0 came out and made things much harder to implement.

I did never see an updated undump(1) source that would be able to deal with
SunOS-4.0 and it's shared libraries. Does it exist?

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin