[TUHS] Emacs and undump

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Feb 28 01:13:08 AEST 2017

Joerg Schilling <schily at schily.net> wrote:

> BTW: undump(1) has been announced on a Sun User Group in 1987, but the
> next year, SunOS-4.0 came out and made things much harder to implement.
>
> I did never see an updated undump(1) source that would be able to deal with
> SunOS-4.0 and it's shared libraries. Does it exist?

Emacs uses a thing called "unexec", or rather several things, one for each
OS, with varying complexity and fearsomeness.

The SunOS one was deleted in 2008:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=2a5cb2584f9ca171ad4310a464d6236e5f005b0e

The Solaris one is the easiest, because dldump() is part of the OS:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/src/unexsol.c?id=4daca38d5c673c5b6862e10cfade9559852cce12

Of course, the most popular systems (generic ELF, Windows, and Mac OS)
have the most complicated implementations of unexec.

Tony.
Hebrides, Bailey: Cyclonic 7 to severe gale 9, occasionally storm 10 later.
Very rough or high, occasionally very high. Rain or showers. Good,
occasionally poor.