[TUHS] MacOS X is Unix (tm)

David david at kdbarto.org
Wed Jan 4 00:11:18 AEST 2017

My complaint about Linux here is not that it isn’t useful or isn’t a development workstation for some people, it is more that it won’t be a desktop for your mother/father/brother-in-law any time soon.

The fragmentation of Linux is what is holding it back. If I purchase a Mac or Windows box I know what I’m getting and I know that millions of others have the same thing. If I want support there are store fronts for both that I can walk into and get expert help without much hassle. No such thing exists for Linux and I don’t think it is going to happen this year. As in: this is not the year that Linux takes over the desktop. I don’t think it will happen next year either. :-)

	David