[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Jan 6 02:23:22 AEST 2017

On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 02:12:19AM -0600, Andy Kosela wrote:
> > He's a good guy, a little weird, but so am I.  He did some great work
> > in 386BSD, it was ahead of Linux.  I remember going into Fry's and
> > sticking a 386BSD floppy in to see if it would boot.  It usually did.
>
> It had tons of bugs though.  That is why Jordan Hubbard and Rod Grimes
> started unofficial 386BSD patchkit which transformed into FreeBSD;
> "unofficial" because Bill Jolitz was very hard to work with, to say the
> least...

He was smart but sensitive.  And pretty butt hurt over how he had been
treated by the "in crowd" at Usenix.  I got past that and found him a
pleasure to work with, but I had to get past all that first.  We were
working together in person, I can imagine that working with him through
email would be more than "very hard" unfortunately.