[TUHS] Unix stories, Stephen Bourne and IF-FI in C code

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 01:59:00 AEST 2017

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 7:47 AM <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:

> I remember the Bournegol well; I did some hacking on the BSD shell.
>
> In general, it wasn't too unusual for people from Pascal backgrounds to
> do similar things, e.g.
>
>         #define repeat          do {
>         #define until(cond)     } while (! (cond))

*was* not unusual? This kind of stuff is still everywhere. In fact there's
probably more of it each month.  It seems to be especially popular in "high
level" languages like C++ but you see tons of it in kernels too.

Some of the worst cpp abuse I've seen is in C++ in fact. One reason I'm
glad Go has no preprocessor.