[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Wed Jan 11 02:24:38 AEST 2017

Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 03:12:19PM +0000, Berny Goodheart wrote:
> > From SunOS:
> > /proc
>
> Pretty sure /proc was not a SunOS thing.

and I believe that Roger Faulkner did come from AT&T

> > From SVR3:
> > .so libs
>
> If you mean shared libraries, SunOS had those.  If it's more nuanced
> than that, I'd defer to Gingell.

.so is a name introduced by SunOS-4

What Svr3 had, was shared libraries that have been installed in the kernel
during boot up into multi-user mode using a special program. In order to
manage this, you needed to have a global library manager that defined start
addresses for the load addresses of the libraries.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin