[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Berny Goodheart berny at berwynlodge.com
Wed Jan 11 02:32:18 AEST 2017

> On 10 Jan 2017, at 16:24, Joerg Schilling <schily at schily.net> wrote:
>
> Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 03:12:19PM +0000, Berny Goodheart wrote:
>>> From SunOS:
>>> /proc
>>
>> Pretty sure /proc was not a SunOS thing.
>
> and I believe that Roger Faulkner did come from AT&T

Yes. And I should know this as I communicated and met with him on several occasions when I was developing /proc for Janus (Linux binary emulation) on Solaris x86.
So, I was defo wrong on this. /proc was done by Roger at AT&T (maybe USL). I recall him telling me that he was not the original author though and that it came from PWB.

>>> From SVR3:
>>> .so libs
>>
>> If you mean shared libraries, SunOS had those.  If it's more nuanced
>> than that, I'd defer to Gingell.
>
> .so is a name introduced by SunOS-4
>
> What Svr3 had, was shared libraries that have been installed in the kernel
> during boot up into multi-user mode using a special program. In order to
> manage this, you needed to have a global library manager that defined start
> addresses for the load addresses of the libraries.

My bad again….there will probably be many more. It’s old age you see ;) I meant shared libraries.