[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Wed Jan 11 02:40:59 AEST 2017

On 1/10/17 11:32 AM, Berny Goodheart wrote:

>> On 10 Jan 2017, at 16:24, Joerg Schilling <schily at schily.net> wrote:
>>
>> Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

>>> Pretty sure /proc was not a SunOS thing.
>>
>> and I believe that Roger Faulkner did come from AT&T
>
> Yes. And I should know this as I communicated and met with him on several occasions when I was developing /proc for Janus (Linux binary emulation) on Solaris x86.
> So, I was defo wrong on this.

/proc was done by Roger at AT&T (maybe USL). I recall him telling me that
he was not the original author though and that it came from PWB.

The original implementation was done by Tom Killian for 8th Edition. I
think Roger used that as inspiration, not sure about the code.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/