[TUHS] Unix stories, Stephen Bourne and IF-FI in C code

Lawrence Stewart stewart at serissa.com
Wed Jan 11 04:44:10 AEST 2017

> On 2017, Jan 9, at 11:03 AM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 10:45 AM, <arnold at skeeve.com <mailto:arnold at skeeve.com>> wrote:
> I remember the Bournegol well; I did some hacking on the BSD shell.
> ​Yep - lots of strange things in source debuggers.​
>

> In general, it wasn't too unusual for people from Pascal backgrounds to
> do similar things,
> ​When we did Magnolia & Tektronix the ex-Xerox/Alta guys lusted for Cedar/Mesa et al - and quickly discovered the Bournegol idea.  ​
>
> I shook my head/shrugged my shoulders, but it made them happy and they quickly wrote some pretty cool tools, like an ECAD system.

Speaking as an ex-Xerox/Alto guy, there was some flow in the other direction as well.  Cedar started with a Tenex CMD JSYS derived command line, like the Alto OS before it, but having received the True Word from V7 at Stanford, I wrote a Cedar shell with standard I/O and redirection and shell scripts.  I don’t think I did pipes.  It did become the standard command line interface.  Then Warren Teitelman added DWIM to it which was highly entertaining at times.

-L