[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Jan 12 09:57:19 AEST 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 12:52:22AM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
> > > It is rather a part of the VFS interface that has first been completed with
> > > SunOS-3.0 in late 1985.
> >
> > I think you are once again confused.  System Vr3 had something called the
> > file system switch which is what Berny is talking about.  SunOS had
> > virtual file system layer (VFS) and that would be one of things ported
> > to SVr4.
>
> But that SVr3 beast is not in Svr4.

Correct, it got dumped in favor of the VFS layer from SunOS, which I
said already.

My point is that you were telling Berny that the FSS wasn't from
SV but it was.

You should go read that wikipedia page, so far as I can tell it's pretty
accurate and has a better version of the history that you do.

I suspect you've fallen victim to various people claiming stuff that
wasn't really accurate.  Like Bill Joy being responsible for SVr4.
If by "responsible" you mean he worked on the code, I'm sure that's
not true.  If by "responsible" you mean he talked to AT&T about it,
sure, that's pretty likely.  You made it sound like the former which
just isn't plausible.  For lots of reasons.