[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Jan 12 11:58:23 AEST 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 01:07:17AM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
> > > But that SVr3 beast is not in Svr4.
> >
> > Correct, it got dumped in favor of the VFS layer from SunOS, which I
> > said already.
> >
> > My point is that you were telling Berny that the FSS wasn't from
> > SV but it was.
>
> Please refresh your memory and have a look at the sources...

So far you haven't mentioned a source base where I have not worked.
And you keep dropping names, which is fun, but I know all the names
you have dropped personally.  John Pope came to my house after stopping
by at Matt Jacob's house.  Matt was my neighbor in Noe Valley and he
was the guy who checked in my work on UFS (I was too chicken to do it,
I had been to some SunOS 4.x staff meetings where Gingell ripped people
a new asshole for doing something wrong.  Matt checked in my UFS work
with the comment "this is the only thing we have that makes performance
better, it's going in".)

I don't know where you are getting your information from but the time
period you are talking about was when I was a pretty good engineer,
I lived in the Unix source code, mcvoy.com is internally known as
slovax, slovax was the 11/750 that had the 4.2 BSD source on it,
I spent a boatload of time reading that code.  Kernel and userland.

Same for System III, same for the PWB release, same for System V,
I love this stuff.  I'm a total nerd for this stuff, it's why I'm
on this list, the people I look up to are here.

I really wonder where you got your information from because it's a
little bit wrong.

--lm