[TUHS] Oracle euthanizes Solaris 12, expunging it from roadmap

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Fri Jan 20 03:02:14 AEST 2017

Have you used Solaris 11, especially up to 11.3? I find Linux and it's
recently evolving service and network configuration methods to be a bit
of a pain. The biggest example of this was the loss of ifconfig from the
minimal install of Redhat/Centos recently. Manually installing nettools
just to get it back, when every other UNIX still has it is exasperating.

If you're a Linux-only house, and even then are up-to-date and use only
one or two distros of Linux, I get it. But if, like me, you administer
multiple distros, versions, and then start moving across AIX, HP/UX and
Solaris, it's another glaring example of "we're going it alone" (again).

For what it's worth, I've been administering a PeopleSoft environment
built entirely on Solaris x86 (half of it virtualized) for quite a few
years, and it's been trouble-free. All the other Linux distros I
administer have had their own idiosyncrasies and bugs. Not to mention
the glaring security holes that have come out in the past 2 years.
Conversely, I've also administered some SFHA clusters on Redhat and
they've been flawless too.

But I digress. This is not supposed to be a "bash Linux" thread :)