[TUHS] Oracle euthanizes Solaris 12, expunging it from roadmap

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Sat Jan 21 01:20:46 AEST 2017

I agree. Why would anyone ever write a piece of software that has
multiple versions of options, when there's no need for the extra wordy
versions? In the mkdir source, there is no conditionals around anything
to do with "static struct option const longopts[]" - so there's no
environment where they wouldn't exist.

 From man page for mkdir on a RedHat 6.8 install:

*       -m, --mode=MODE*
               set file mode (as in chmod), not a=rwx - umask

*       -p, --parents*
               no error if existing, make parent directories as needed

*       -v, --verbose*
               print a message for each created directory

*       -Z, --context=CTX*
               set the SELinux security context of each created
directory to CTX

               When  COREUTILS_CHILD_DEFAULT_ACLS environment variable
is set, -p/--parents option respects default umask and ACLs, as it does
               in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 by default

        --help display this help and exit

        --version
               output version information and exit

Oh, and an old-man rant: get off my lawn.