[TUHS] Oracle euthanizes Solaris 12, expunging it from roadmap

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Sat Jan 21 01:45:35 AEST 2017

On Friday, January 20, 2017, Tim Bradshaw <tfb at tfeb.org
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','tfb at tfeb.org');>> wrote:

> And it's also why they slowly die: their market ends up being people who
> have huge critical legacy systems which they need to maintain, not people
> who are building new systems.  Indeed even the people with the great legacy
> chunks of software, when they build new systems, start using the shiny new
> platforms, because the shiny young people they hire to do this like the new
> platforms.

I understand that Linux can still be called a new kid on the block, but it
is actually not "a new platform" anymore.  It has been deployed (along with
FreeBSD) in large corporations for around 20 years now.  It really
became the Standard OS from embedded world to supercomputers.

Personally I do not find this to be a bad thing, because with OS
standardization comes uniformity, and I would rather have one true
Unix standard than hundreds of incompatible ones.

I believe that the future of proprietary UNIX is doomed and the only
remaining choices for server operating systems will be Linux and Windows in
the near future.  If you think about it, the future is already here...

--Andy