[TUHS] Oracle euthanizes Solaris 12, expunging it from roadmap

tfb at tfeb.org tfb at tfeb.org
Sat Jan 21 02:30:14 AEST 2017

On 20 Jan 2017, at 15:45, Andy Kosela <akosela at andykosela.com> wrote:

> I understand that Linux can still be called a new kid on the block, but it is actually not "a new platform" anymore.  It has been deployed (along with FreeBSD) in large corporations for around 20 years now.  It really became the Standard OS from embedded world to supercomputers.

The people I'm talking about (who might be characterised as 'COBOL shops') are not early adopters: 20 years is about how long it takes for them to decide something is safe.  Yes, of course Linux has been everywhere for a long time, but ten years ago it almost certainly was not involved in running your bank account, while today it almost certainly is.

> Personally I do not find this to be a bad thing, because with OS standardization comes uniformity, and I would rather have one true Unix standard than hundreds of incompatible ones.

'Linux' and 'OS standardisation' are funny phrases to see in the same sentence.  (Note: I work in an exclusively Linux HPC environment: I am not some anti-Linux holdout, I just have previously worked in the above-mentioned environments and I appreciate their needs and fears).

I think this is probably off-topic tor TUHS, sorry.