[TUHS] Oracle euthanizes Solaris 12, expunging it from roadmap

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Sat Jan 21 06:30:54 AEST 2017

Andy Kosela <akosela at andykosela.com> wrote:
 |On Friday, January 20, 2017, Tim Bradshaw <[1]tfb at tfeb.org[/1]> wrote: \
 |And it's also why they slowly die: their market ends up being people \
 |who have
 |huge critical legacy systems which they need to maintain, not people \
 |who are building new systems.  Indeed even the people with the great \
 |legacy chunks
 |of software, when they build new systems, start using the shiny new \
 |platforms, because the shiny young people they hire to do this like \
 |the new
 |platforms.
 |
 |  [1] javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','tfb at tfeb.org');

(Couldn't resist, sorry.)

 |I understand that Linux can still be called a new kid on the block, \
 |but it is actually not "a new platform" anymore.  It has been deployed \
 |(along with
 |FreeBSD) in large corporations for around 20 years now.  It really \
 |became the Standard OS from embedded world to supercomputers.
 |
 |Personally I do not find this to be a bad thing, because with OS standardiz\
 |ation comes uniformity, and I would rather have one true Unix standard
 |than hundreds of incompatible ones.

I am really glad with the POSIX standard, that, if in doubt, not
few members of this list have anticipated in.  And if it is that
they have thought or implemented the foundations that lead to
POSIX.  Note that i am really happy with it, but without it
nothing but ISO C would be there.  And then i would rather boot
a Plan9/9front/(9atom) system and adore so much the manuals that
have been written by the really good ones.  And if just for the
spirit from in between the lines.

 |I believe that the future of proprietary UNIX is doomed and the only \
 |remaining choices for server operating systems will be Linux and Windows \
 |in the
 |near future.  If you think about it, the future is already here...

Not to start throwing with something that stinks, but in practice
my resource files from FreeBSD 4.7 are still in use for 10.3.
I never setup a server as such until January 2016, and i had
a FreeBSD one running via inetd on one afternoon.
And in general one thing that i for one would never overestimate
is the documentation, and even though Linux has so much improved,
the /usr/share isn't there, which is think is a real pity for
young programmers, which may possibly never access doc.cat-v.org.
Maybe they have a good professor.  And the release information of
FreeBSD and also OpenBSD really is appreciated so much by someone
like me, who has neither time nor interest to stay totally
up-to-date regarding Linux kernel and GNU userland development!

--steffen