[TUHS] Oracle euthanizes Solaris 12, expunging it from roadmap

Nemo cym224 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 01:43:59 AEST 2017

On 20 January 2017 at 19:25, Tim Bradshaw <tfb at tfeb.org> wrote:
> On 20 Jan 2017, at 19:38, Nemo <cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As they say, 'ave a laugh, guv:
> http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=43781
> You have not understood the problem I was describing I think:

I did understand.  My response was to your comment about Linux and
standards in the same sentence.  (This was humour, indicated by the
phrase 'ave a laugh.)

> [...] such platforms would make porting things more easy, but they would
> also be mostly indistinguishable from each other and thus eliminate most of
> the competition between vendors.

Well, I believe that was the original intent of POSIX as far as the
Pentagon was concerned.  It (and other countries) wanted source that
could be recompiled/run on any POSIX box.

N.