[TUHS] Oracle euthanizes Solaris 12, expunging it from roadmap

Rico Pajarola rp at servium.ch
Sat Jan 21 11:58:47 AEST 2017

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 1:25 AM, Tim Bradshaw <tfb at tfeb.org> wrote:

> An interesting approach would be platforms which *only* supported the
> standard they purport to conform to (ie there would be no additional
> functionality at all): such platforms would make porting things more easy,
> but they would also be mostly indistinguishable from each other and thus
> eliminate most of the competition between vendors.  They would also be
> impossibly austere of course.

that's more or less what Solaris is doing, and why the defaults seem
archaic to people who've only ever used Linux.

You can change the "feel" of the Solaris (by adding/removing/rearranging
stuff in $PATH) from SysV (/usr/bin), BSD (/usr/ucb), the "X/Open standard"
(/usr/xpg4/bin), to GNU (/usr/gnu/bin). I might have missed some. AIUI
/usr/xpg4 mostly exists in order to pass the standards tests ;)

I really despised the "messiness" in Linux where the choice was either
stable and outdated to the point of being useless (Debian until they got
their act together), stable but patched beyond recognition (anything
"Enterprise"), or bleeding edge where entire subsystems can get exchanged
at any time without warning (anything "Desktop"). I was clinging to real
systems like Solaris and FreeBSD, but eventually I gave up and I'm not
looking back. The ease of getting stuff to work (hardware and software)
greatly outweighs the lack of elegance and the occasional breakage due to
unexpected changes. And there's another kind of elegance in being able to
boot Linux on any random PC and have at least graphics, network, and
storage work out of the box (most of the time anyway. Solaris never stood a
chance on that front). Software gets installed with a simple "yum install
foo" or "apt-get install foo" command. At some point Solaris also lost the
performance race and that was pretty much it.

I loved Solaris while it was alive and even when it was on life support.
Oracle killing Solaris came hardly as a surprise to anyone. The writing has
been on the wall for a while, in bold and blinking. I'm only surprised it
took so long...