[TUHS] Oracle euthanizes Solaris 12, expunging it from roadmap

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Sun Jan 22 03:32:55 AEST 2017

Take another look at Solaris 11 - the pkg command is basically the same
thing. Install PHP, MYSQL, Apache, update the system, do almost anything.

I've booted Solaris 11 on a slew of servers and PC's since it came out.
 From Intel SATA to LSI SAS, Emulex fiber channel cards, Qlogic fiber
cards, Intel 10Gbe NICs, etc.

It just "works". While you had to pay attention to the HCL back in the
Solaris 7/8/9 and early 10 days, and adjust accordingly, Solaris has
been pretty decent in the past few years in terms of hardware
compatibility.  Except for one horrid instance where the Emulex driver
would fail if virtualization was turned on - but in 11.3, that seems to
have been fixed (or, the hardware changed, I installed it on newer M630
Dell hardware).

For the "desktop" however, I just don't use it as a desktop. Windows won
that war for me.

As for performance, I'll have to look into that - I remember a while
back that Oracle's best practices for it's database was to turn off NUMA
under Linux, but not Solaris. Either way, virtualization (VMware mostly)
has made that a moot point in many of the environments I administer.