[TUHS] Early Internet work (Was: History of select(2))

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Jan 30 23:13:48 AEST 2017

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017, Clem Cole wrote:

> That said, is you want a goos starting point the best C compiler for the
> 8080 was the Leor Zolman's "Brain Damaged Software" C -- aka BDS C.
> Which he has put in the public Domain:
>   http://www.bdsoft.com/resources/bdsc.html

Talk about brain-damaged software...  BDS C is irretrievably broken, with
all sorts of things missing.  I used to use Hi-Tech C for CP/M, but I
don't know whether they're still in business.  It was a full ANSI C
compiler, with function prototypes, initialisation assignments, static
variables, etc.

As Henry Spencer once said, to be called a C compiler it ought to at least
be able to compile C...

(And as I've said on many occasions, the true test of a compiler is
whether it can compile itself.)