[TUHS] Early Internet work (Was: History of select(2))

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Tue Jan 31 07:20:45 AEST 2017

On 30 Jan 2017, at 16:34 , Noel Chiappa wrote:

>>> the headers say they date from 1974-75.
>
>> Wow, that's great! That means that you have the initial version.
>
> The file write dates are May 1979, so that's the latest it can be. There is
> one folder called 'DTI' which contains an email message from someone at DTI to
> someone at SRI which is dated "10 Apr 1979" so that seems to indicate that
> that's indeed when they are from.

Based on that extra info I think you have a later version of Network Unix, which
is still wonderful and exciting.

> I could have sworn that I'd seen _listings_ of the code in a UIllinois
> document about NCP Unix that I had found (and downloaded) on the Internet, but
> I can't find them here now. I did look again and found:
>
>  "A Network Unix System for the Arpanet", by Karl C. Kelley, Richard Balocca,
>  and Jody Kravitz
>
> but it doesn't contain any sources.

The initial 1975 implementation was - in the authors' recollection - only some
one to two thousand lines of extra kernel code and one thousand for the NCP
daemon. That would make for some 50 pages of printout. It is possible.

I know the Kelley document well and sections 5 and 6 contain a fairly
detailed code walkthrough. Perhaps this is what lingered in your memory.
I suspect this (Oct 1978) code walkthrough will match with the code on your
tape.