[TUHS] 211bsd: kernel panic after a 'here document' in tcsh

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sun Jun 11 20:25:24 AEST 2017

On 2017-06-11 04:00, "Walter F.J. Mueller" <w.f.j.mueller at retro11.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the kernel panic after tcsh here documents is understood.
> And fixed, at least on my system.

Nice work. Looking forward to patch #250. And to respond to Noels remark
about this being around for a long time without reports - since this is
in FPSIM, and I believe the notes for 2.11BSD even says that this is an
untested piece of code, which are not even know if it works or not, it's
not something that have been used for ages. I'm in a way surprised it
even worked at all. I think I've seen somewhere that it was last tested
around 2.9BSD, and have not been officially tested since.

> The essential hint was Johnny's observation that on his system he gets
> an "Illegal instruction - core dumped" and no kernel panic.

Well, had I had FPP simulated, I would maybe not have gotten a kernel
panic anyway. It would all depend on where the address ended up. With my
current build, the kernel would have been able to read the address,
since it pointed into the boot diagnostics rom. So it's a dicey error at
best.

But the tcsh error was very good that you also figured out. And I guess
it means we now have a known working FPSIM. :-)

	Johnny