[TUHS] Un-released/internal/special UNIX versions/ports during the years?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Mar 1 06:15:22 AEST 2017

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017, Noel Chiappa wrote:

>     > Another acronym is Esc Meta Alt Ctl Shift...
>
> Good one!

Somewhere Out There (tm) is a web page full of EMACS acronyms.

> And there was a pretty funny fake Exxx error code - I think it was
> "EMACS - Editor too big"?

"Editor too large"; it was in a list of fake error messages in a Usenix
article.  Another was ENOTOBACCO - Read on empty pipe.

> I was never happy with the size of EMACS, and it had nothing to do with
> the amount of memory resources used. That big a binary implies a very
> large amount of source, and the more lines of code, the more places for
> bugs... And it makes it harder to understand, for someone working on it
> (to make a change/improvement).

I tried EMACS once (so I couldn't be accused of criticising it without
trying it) and immediately ran back to the comfort of VI.