[TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?

Ronald Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Mon Mar 13 05:35:49 AEST 2017

Being just down the road, AT&T gave us a lot of their own branded compute equipment, a 3B20, a couple of 3B5’s, and countless 3B2’s.

The 3B2 was amusing as I tried to work the power switch and it told me I didn’t have sufficient permissions.

The 3B20 you powered down by turning the switch to standby and holding a button down (this is very akin to how you put the original arpanet 303 broadband modems into loopback).

The 3B5 was distinguished in that even though I was in the basement of a 7 story building, the roof leaked into our machine room.    One day in attempt to find the leak, we had the campus fire department pump water in various places in the building courtyard.    We finally found the leak was a broken drain pipe, but not before about a hundred gallons of water flowed into the machine room ceiling and directly on top of the 3B5.    The 3B5 took a licking, but like the timex, kept on ticking.