[TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Mar 8 03:17:09 AEST 2017

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> It's been ages since I delved into UUCP; first was the
> ​ ​
> "original", then HoneyDanBer.

​Actually this is a great question for this list .. how many
implementations were created?
1.) The original 1978 version that shipped with V7 and 32/V (BSD 4.1 and
4.2)
2,) PC-UUCP for DOS came next -- I never knew how much was ripped off from
the original, because at the time, the Chesson's G protocol was not well
specified.   The authors claimed to have reverse engineered it - I will say
it worked.
3.) Honey-Dan-Ber rewrite - most popular for a long time
4.) Taylor UUCP first real clone that I know of that I do think was done
with out looking at other's source.  G protocol had been publicly
documented by then and the Trailblazer in fact was shipping with the
protocol imbedded in it.

Any others that folks know about and how well were they used?  Did things
like Coherent have a UUCP?   Linux and FreeBSD were able to use to Taylor
UUCP because it became available by then.    Whitesmith's Idris lacked
anything like UUCP IIRC (but was based on V6).   Same with Thoth originally
at Waterloo, but by the time they shipped it as the QNX product it was V7
compliant but I do not remember a UUCP being included in it.    Minux
lacked a UUCP as I recall, but I'm hazy on that has Andy's crew wrote a lot
of the user space.   Coherent was a "full" V7 clone and include things like
the dev tools including yacc/lex and was released much, much before the
Taylor version came out -- so what do they use for uucp if at all?

Does anyone remember any other implementations?

Clem