[TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Sat Mar 11 07:38:00 AEST 2017

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 08:25:25PM +0800, Jason Stevens wrote:
> I've now got it working and it made me think a little.
> In order to do these "serial ports over TCP" things, we basically are
> putting login prompts out to the Internet. Is it possible to restrict
> things so the only user allowed on ttyN is 'uucp', or should I just
> put in iptables rules to only allow traffic from my UUCP peers?
> john

Use the 4.3BSD branch. In these systems, I've set the serial ports
as insecure in /etc/ttys, so people can't login as root. Then, remove
all users from the password file (with vipw) except root and uucp. Or,
keep one non-root user for you to login as.

If you leave vax780 running in 'screen', you can still login as root there.

Cheers, Warren