[TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Thu Mar 9 19:30:09 AEST 2017

Arthur Krewat <krewat at kilonet.net> wrote:

> This is one of the reasons Telebit did the whole UUCP "g" acceleration
> in the Trailblazer/Worldblazer modems.
>
> The turn-around time for the small packets being acknowledged was so bad
> over normal modems that it was painful.
>
> So Telebit made the modem do the acknowledgements (IIRC), stream the
> data over the phone line, and the receiving end would "play along" on
> the acknowledgements.
>
> It was very effective for news especially.

If you have been forced to connect to a "traditional UUCP" site, this may have
been a useful concept.

With a packet size of 64 bytes and max. 3 windows, the protocol was OK for 2400
baud, but not really usable for faster modems.

My enhanced packet handler supported dynamic packet sizes between 32 bytes and
4096 bytes and 1..7 windows.

Given that I could update the UUCP implementation of my news-feed in the
university, this was a better solution than the Telebit protocol spoofing.

BTW: UUCP enhancements have been discussed by many people in comp.mail.uucp
Active people in that group have been e.g.

Ian Lance Taylor	various

Rick Adams		t protocol for TCP/IP

Matthias Urlichs	e protocol. similar to t protocol

Peter Honeyman		g protocol description

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin