[TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Fri Mar 10 19:57:56 AEST 2017

Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:

> > On Mar 9, 2017, at 7:45 PM, Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It seems that there was a whole slew of protocols at one time.
>
> g:	the original
> G:	a later (HDB?) SVRx version that did 256 byte packets and a seven packet window
> f:	X.25 optimized printable-characters-only
> x:	similar to above?
> z:	Doug Evans wrote this as an alternative to 'f' back when 8-bit paths were not everywhere yet.
> i:	'internet'  stream the data.
>
> g, G, and f, we can get definitions for easily enough I think. For 'z' I can track down Doug, but Taylor UUCP should have the details.

I have:

g:	The original protocol from the 1970s

G:	enhanced g-protocol introduced by Svr4

d:	Protocol for DataKit connections.

e:	Protocol for TCP links from HDB UUCP, similar to t-protocol.
	BSD UUCP used an implementation from Arne Ludwig.

f:	Seven Bit protocol with checksums on the entire file at a time
	No protocol flow control, but XON/XOFF
	It only uses the characters between \040 and \176 (' '..'~')
	Written by Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam, Sep 1984
	Modified for X.25 by Robert Elz, Melbourne Univ, Mar 1985

F:	flow control protocol similar to f-protocol.
	Written by Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam, Sep 1984
	Modified for X.25 by Robert Elz, Melbourne Univ, Mar 1985
	Probably created from f-protocol by Carsten Borman TU-Berlin
	or by me (Jörg Schilling)

h:	A protocol similar to the t-protocol with no error checking.
	Apparently used for HST modems.

s:	High 's'peed protocol based on the g-protocol.
	Variable block sizes 32..4096 bytes, up to 7 windows
	Written by me (Jörg Schilling)

t:	Protocol for TCP links from BSD
	Most likely from Rick Adams

x:	Protocol for X.25 links