[TUHS] Does this mean Linux is now "officially branded UNIX"?

Josh Good pepe at naleco.com
Mon Mar 13 01:04:12 AEST 2017

Hello all.

I was perusing the list of officially branded UNIX systems, according to
the "UNIX 03" specification and tests done by the Open Group, and I
found there listed something called "Huawei EulerOS 2.0".

https://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/xy.htm

Intriguing, ain't it?

So I went to Wikipedia, to see what it has to say about such a beast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification#EulerOS

And I quote: "EulerOS 2.0 for the x86-64 architecture were certified as
UNIX 03 compliant. The UNIX 03 conformance statement shows that the
standard C compiler is from the GNU Compiler Collection (gcc), and that
the system is a Linux distribution of the Red Hat family."

So, Linux (some variety of it, very closely resembling Red Hat) is now a
"officially branded" UNIX.

I think Mr. Stallman can now say: mission accomplished. GNU *is* now
UNIX. (Linux the kernel might not be a FSF project, but it certainly is
under the GNU General Public License.)

--
Josh Good