[TUHS] System Economics (was is Linux "officially branded UNIX")

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Mar 16 06:48:34 AEST 2017

My point is that is was on the *price list, *the sources were never hidden
away.   And that a lot of people did have access to it.  Your point - the
prices to get a ticket was too high and thus, when the price was even less,
even more had access.    Which I did not (and do not) disagree.

But Unix was open, people did discussed it, people did look at it, learned
from it etc....  that was not true of "closed systems" like say Cisco's.
Our even VMS, although VM, TSS, OS/360 and the like were "Open."   That's
why we have a UNIX "industry" -- it spread beyond the "ivy league" as you
said it.   The ideas leaked out, because AT&T made it open - because they
had by the 1956 consent decree et al....

That is a clear distinction.  And please its not about a wall garden ...
because it really was not that hard.  I'm not disagreeing that it did not
happen and your point is that people were excluded ... I get that.   But
don't call Unix closed because there was a price (aka a ticket).   It just
was not "free" -- that's all I'm saying and as you have pointed out that
difference was in practice to many, many people large (which I'm not
disagreeing).

You and I really need to have the beer together ;-)