[TUHS] System Economics (was is Linux "officially branded UNIX")

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Thu Mar 16 09:46:45 AEST 2017

Another common thread in this discussion has been universities had
access to the source code, so just go ask the right people at your school.

Which is all well and good, except for those that never went - for
various reasons. I never even graduated High School ...

I had "access" to the 4.2/4.3BSD sources, but only because a friend of
mine worked at a university.

It was when I was forewarned that said university threw away piles of
VAXes and tapes that I then had my grubby hands on the source code to
BSD and a few other things.

This is where the NFS 2.0 source code came from that I gave to Warren :)

When I got my grubby hands on FreeBSD, I nearly cried. This was before I
went dumpster diving.