[TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?

shawn wilson ag4ve.us at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 11:24:03 AEST 2017

Maybe there's a generation / technology gap here. But from history, it
doesn't seem like there was much free - though most did indeed to be open -
I suppose much like the VMS model. At least not until the 80s (or maybe
bash predates that trend).

The C language might've been free, but I wonder if there were any free
compilers until gcc (hell I remember pirating Borland). Even most copies of
*BSD were mainly sold on CD vs downloaded until 10 years or so ago (even
though it was technically free - not including BSDi)

On Mar 20, 2017 7:28 PM, "Doug McIlroy" <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> The hippie mentality had a lot of influence on everyone in that
> generation - including the computer nerds/hackers.

I'm not sure what hippie attributes you had in mind, but one
candidate would be "free and open". In software, though, free
and open was the style of the late 50s. By the hippie heyday