[TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?

Ron Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Wed Mar 22 02:20:37 AEST 2017

I had a student when I was Associate Director at Rutgers.   He was sure that his key to getting a job on graduation was to go smooze people at Uniforum.     So he got on one of our “social” mailing lists at the time and inquired what appropriate dress would be (i.e., should he wear a suit).    Before anybody else could answer Erik Fair told him that the dress was indeed casual, usually shorts, but you had to wear Birkenstocks.    So here goes this kid hunting around in New Jersey in December looking for Birkenstocks.

A few weeks after the conference he came back sporting a hair style more commonly found on the gay men in the community.    I asked if he had gone through a lifestyle change, and he said this was how the guys he met at the conference had their hair.   I had to point out that most of the crowd we were hanging out with were indeed gay.