[TUHS] IP in v8-v10

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Fri Mar 31 05:29:27 AEST 2017

Can't help much, but I did write fish and ching.

ching took a string from the input, hashed it, converted into
hexagrams, and quoted a couple of lines of i Ching text .  The text
was copied from a book, presumably copyrighted, although considering
how long ago this all was maybe the copyright has expired now...

I wrote fish for my young son -- it played the kids game.  Without
graphics it wasn't very compelling.  But there is an interesting
story about it.  A couple of weeks after the first version, I
realized that if my opponent (e.g., the computer) asked me for, e.g. a
six, and later I drew a six, I should ask the opponent for sixes.
With this small change the game defeated all kids and most adults, and
the game was even less interesting as a result.  I ended up putting
in an option to dumb the game back to its original level.

A couple of years later, at a Usenix meeting, I was publicly called
out for writing a game "that cheated".    Unless somebody hacked my
code somewhere along the way, the game simply played excellent
strategy...

Steve