[TUHS] Happy birthday, Morris Worm!

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 00:26:06 AEST 2017

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
> [...]
> So I decided to weigh in. I got advice from the Washington branch of
> then-Hale&Dorr (my legal people at the time), who were well connected inside
> the DoJ (they had people who'd been there, and also ex-H+D people were
> serving, etc). IIRC, they agreed with me that this was over-charging, given
> the specifics of the offender, etc. (I forget exactly what they told me of
> what they made of the prosecutor and his actions, but it was highly not
> positive.)

This is really fascinating.

The Washington Post did an article on the Internet Worm back in 2013
(for the 25th anniversary). There are quite a few interesting insights
from Gene Spafford and the prosecutor, Mark Rasch. Spaf felt that the
felony conviction was going to far; Rasch has stated he would support
a pardon being granted for the felony conviction. Mashable also had an
article with some more quotes from Rasch

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2013/11/01/how-a-grad-student-trying-to-build-the-first-botnet-brought-the-internet-to-its-knees/
http://mashable.com/2013/11/01/morris-worm/#BosSE6MAiqq0

        - Dan C.