[TUHS] Fwd: FW: The Kill-9 Rap

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 02:05:49 AEST 2017

Thanks for sending this; there's actually an entire genre of
"herdcore" hip-hop along similar lines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8VTmy5clHk

As someone who used to live very close to the Boogie Down[*], I think
it's an interesting subcultural thing, though it strays awfully close
to appropriation in some cases (yeah Monzy, odds are really good
you'll make it through the Stanford PhD program without getting shot.
There's not a lot of physical violence in the "Computer Science
Game").

        - Dan C.

[*] "The Boogie Down" is hip-hop slang for the New York City borough
of the Bronx and is generally credited as the place where rap/hip-hop
was born in the early-1970s. Google did a doodle for this earlier this
year: https://www.google.com/doodles/44th-anniversary-of-the-birth-of-hip-hop,
narrated by the one and only Fab 5 Freddy. I'm a Manhattanite, but
used to live a couple of blocks from the 155th St overpass that leads
down to the Macombs Dam Bridge that features in the beginning of the
seminal Eric B & Rakim video for "I Ain't No Joke": uptown represent.
They who think wrong are they who can't do that style that I'm doing.
(The video actually shows the section of 155th St under the overpass,
which gets confusing because the road on the overpass is also 155th
St. Explaining that to cab drivers used to be fun. It's amusing, I
used to park my car in the parking lot off-camera to the right of that
shot.)