[TUHS] C question for the historians

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Nov 9 06:23:34 AEST 2017

> For me one of the worst is the 80-column requirement that came from out of
> I don't know where. Let's see, we're all getting 4k monitors, and yet
> somehow
> 80 columns is how we have to write code? Hollerith would be proud.

I'm an 80 column person, I like it for side by side diffs, stuff like that.
I also read very very fast by reading down the center and using peripheral
vision for either side (hockey habits die hard).  I can't do that with much
wider than 80 column.

I had a guy working for me who started to argue with me and caught himself:
"I work for you, so it's 80 columns.  When you work for me it won't be."

Fair enough.