[TUHS] C question for the historians

Ron Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Wed Nov 29 05:00:09 AEST 2017

80 was the number of columns in the IBM punched cards.
Teletypes only had 72 coumns.
Most lineprinters could do 132.

I remember making the jump from the Visual200's (a vt52 clone) to the 5620
DMD.   I actually had at home in my kitchen a ASR-37.    It was one of the
only terminals I have used that I didn't need to engage nl mode.
It had a big NEWLINE key that sent "\n" and didn't need to have the "\r"
also sent.    It also did stuff with all the SI/SO and ESC 8 and 9 things
that nroff sent by default without the need for an converting filter.

Amusingly, it was also one of the the only terminals I used that did
something with CD and DSR.    Upon DSR coming up, it would turn on the motor
and on CD a giant green PROCEED indicator came on.    I never turned it off,
I just shutdown the modem.