[TUHS] C question for the historians

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Nov 9 06:39:19 AEST 2017

Terminals used to have 80 columns almost universally back in the 80's (yes,
you can find exceptions). CGA/MHA/VGA consoles still do because they were
designed to replace said terminals. The notion, at least for FreeBSD, was
that you'd want to be able to easily hack on the code if you had to on the
console. Likely a bit antiquated, but there's a solid reason for it.

There's other side effects of that, most of which are good, but some
crazy...

Warner