[TUHS] 80 columns ...

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Nov 9 08:17:15 AEST 2017

On 11/08/2017 01:52 PM, ron minnich wrote:
> So, 80 column folks,

I don't consider myself to be an 80 column person.  -  I default my
XTerm windows to 132 x 50.  (Rows matter less.)

> would you find this
> a(b,
> c,
> d)
>
> more readable than
> a(b,c,d)

I don't know if it plays into preferences or not, but I do find that
having things on one line makes it significantly easier to
programmability modify the line with a Regular Expression.

Maybe I need to learn some more about RE's to make working across lines
easier.

> would you have code review software that automatically bounces out lines
> that are 82 columns wide? How far does this go?

My $EMPLOYER does have CR processes that complain about lines longer
than 80 characters.

> I do recall 80 column monitors, but I started on 132 column decwriter
> IIs and hence have never had sympathy for 80 columns. It's weird that so

Interesting.  I wonder if that's where the 132 column (alternative)
standard came from.  I.e. XTerm's "Allow 80/132 Column Switching" option
in the VT Options menu.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die